It’s a new month a new number one to kick off February. That’s right, it’s Montreal’s Young Galaxy taking the top spot as their new album, Shapeshifting is partially out (currently out on iTunes). They are also the X3 Artist of the Month. The only new debut on the countdown is Hey Rosetta! They have a new album coming out this month as well. Overall, there’s not a lot of movement on the countdown and it’s also the final live broadcast as it will be moved to the blog as a podcast. The Wild 10 Countdown will still continue, just not on live terrestrial radio.
Here’s the list.
1. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (1st week at #1)
2. Paradise Mountain – Jenn Grant (Down a spot. Temporary replacing Getcha Good on the final live broadcast)
3. Welcome – Hey Rosetta! (new entry)
4. Lemonade – Braids (Steady. Temporary replacing Plath Heart)
5. Tornado ’87 – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Temporary replacing Stamp)
6. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs (Down from #2)
7. I Want The Lights on After Dark – Memphis (Steady)
8. Chinatown – Destroyer (steady)
9. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo (down from #6)
10. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans
Not much happening on the countdown in terms of debuts. A few songs went up and down. It’s also the final time that Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by Arcade Fire will be on the countdown. I have broken promises that it would be off but due to a few radio shows that I listen to, it would stay on for another week. Another reason was the guest on my radio show as she really loves the song.
Jenn Grant stays on top for another week as January ends her time as the X3 Artist of the Month. Who will be #1 for the first week of February?
Without further ado, here’s the list.
1. Getcha Good – Jenn Grant (2nd week at #1)
2. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs (Steady as she was #1 on CBC Radio 3′s R3-30)
3. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (Steady. I still avoid saying the song name)
4. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Steady. The music video was released.)
5. Plath Heart – Braids (Going up. This band is getting a lot of attention due to album release, the show last Friday and a free song on iTunes Store this week)
6. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo (Going down a spot)
7. I Want The Lights On After Dark – Memphis (Going up)
8. Chinatown – Destroyer (Going up)
9. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Going down)
10. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (It should be the final time that it’s on the countdown.
2011 has barely begun and some of the songs on the Wild 10 Countdown are vying for the top spot. From the top 6 six songs, they are generating a lot of airplays on various radio shows. Hot Mess by Chromeo is considered a 2010 track but the new version with Elly Jackson of LaRoux has not been released as a single and considered a 2011 release. Little Voice by Rebekah Higgs is another 2010 release but is getting plays elsewhere.
One song that I was supposed to be out of the countdown was Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by Arcade Fire. If it was for The Strombo Show on Sunday night, I wouldn’t get rid of it on the countdown.
The only new entry on the countdown is Chinatown by Destroyer. Kaputt will be released on January 25, but it got leaked online before its release date.
A new number one song after Rebekah Higgs was on top for one week. Without further ado, the top 10.
1. Getcha Good – Jenn Grant (Replacing “How I Met You” and she’s the January X3 Artist of The Month. The music video was released last week)
2. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs (dropping down from the top spot)
3. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (the album is nearing soon)
4. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (falling down a spot but still going strong on the airplay)
5. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo
6. Plath Heart – Braids (jumping up a few spots as they are in Ottawa on Friday)
7. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (still a local favourite and hanging around the countdown)
8. I Want The Lights On After Dark – Memphis (new entry)
9. Chinatown – Destroyer (new entry)
10. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (it should be the final time on the countdown)