Apologies for the delay due to the ridiculous heatwave. Louise Burns is still number one for the second week. The song chosen from her sophomore album, The Midnight Mass happened to be “Don’t Like Sunny Days.” Quite fitting to use it for the hot weather experiencing in Ontario.
Two new entries this week are Brendan Canning and CFCF.
Here’s the top 10 for this week;
1. Don’t Like Sunny Days – Louise Burns
2. Painful Like – Austra
3. Amends – Braids
4. Fire Me Up – Lightning Dust
5. Trip The Fantastic Light – Grand Analog featuring Maylee Todd and Len Bowen
6. Punch My Face – We Are The City
7. I Wanna Know – Maestro Fresh Wes featuring The Trews
8. I Love You – Said The Whale
9. Plugged In – Brendan Canning (New entry)
10. Camera – CFCF (New entry)
It’s a brand new month and we’re half-way through 2013. Since it’s the post-Canada Day edition of the Wild 10 Countdown and Summer radio show, it’s still fitting for Maestro Fresh Wes to take the top spot for another week. Quite ironic to have Black Trudeau be number one for this week after celebrating Canada’s 146th birthday. The only new entry on the countdown is Grand Analog as the band will be releasing a new album in August.
As the regular blog is on a Summer break, the radio show will be recapped here. As mentioned before that the radio show is on a Summer edition and keeping me company for part of the Summer is Katarina, host of The Cloud on CKCU-FM. This week’s show had a wrap up to The Community Cup.
The playlist from the live show can be seen over at this link. The audio will be posted below.
Here’s the top 10 for July 3, 2013;
To end off June and to begin Summer, Maestro Fresh Wes takes the top spot to end the month as he released his new album in thirteen years. That’s right! Orchestrated Noise got released this week and there’s been a lot of buzz to the Godfather of Canadian Hip-Hop. The 18 track album has collaborations from the likes of Classified, Chuck D, The Trews, Sam Roberts and opera singer, Measha Bruggergosman. One of the top hits from the album is considered to be catchy and sampled from the great Canadian, Blue Rodeo. It’s Reach For The Sky, which features Classified and sampling Try by Blue Rodeo. It’s definitely a terrific album and recommended for your Summer listening. Maestro Fresh Wes also released a music video to this song, Black Trudeau.
The song that takes the top spot this week happens to be History Repeated and it features Montreal rocker, Sam Roberts. The reason for picking that song was that Roberts was in Ottawa for the Tim Hortons Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival and I’m still having a good laugh at this video from CBC Music Presents The Beetle Roadtrip Sessions.
The only new entry this week is Lightning Dust as the band released their new album, Fantasy. It’s out this week.
Here’s the top 10.
1. History Repeated – Maestro Fresh Wes featuring Sam Roberts
2. Emeralds Shatter – Louise Burns
3. Sleep – Austra
4. Chasing The Sunset – Imaginary Cities
5. I Love You – Said The Whale
6. Near Enough – Braids
7. In Enemies – Still Life Still
8. Bottom of the Lake – We Are The City
9. Trasher – Hooded Fang
10. Diamond – Lightning Dust
It’s a new month and we’re half way through 2013.
Said The Whale takes the top spot for another week as the I Love You EP got released this week. Their EP is a sneak peak to their upcoming full length album. The new entry this is Majical Cloudz and making a return to the top 10 is Austra as the sophomore album, Olympia will be out soon.
Jasper by Louise Burn got released as the second single to her upcoming album to be out in July, The Midnight Mass.
Here’s the top 10.
1. Barbara-Ann – Said The Whale
2. Jasper – Louise Burns
3. Scorekeeper – Michael Feuerstack
4. Jewel – Gold & Youth
5. Never Minding – Hooded Fang
6. Somewhere We Belong – Bravestation
7. Water Under The Bridge – Imaginary Cities
8. Forgive Me – Austra
9. With Her Shadow – Born Ruffians
10. Bugs Don’t Buzz – Majical Cloudz
To end off the final week of May’s edition of the Wild 10 Countdown. Said The Whale takes the top spot as their upcoming EP, I Love You comes out on June 4th. What I forgot to mention on the podcast was the EP being considered the Summer listening or theme for 2013.
The only new entry for this week on the countdown is Imaginary Cities as their new album, Fall of Romance, officially got released.
Here’s the top 10 list
1. I Love You – Said The Whale
2. Flowers In The City – Michael Feuerstack
3. Little Wild Love – Gold & Youth
4. Emeralds Shatter – Louise Burns
5. Hero Brother – Sarah Neufeld
6. Bye Bye Land – Hooded Fang
7. Too Soaked To Break – Born Ruffians
8. Somewhere We Belong – Bravestation
9. Bread & Cheese (featuring Black Bear) – A Tribe Called Red
10. Sooner or Later – Imaginary Cities
Credit: Michelle Ford
As the Victoria Day long weekend approaches, this week’s Wild 10 Countdown got a new number one song. Beyond Wilderness by Gold & Youth is their debut full length album. It got released this week and it takes the top spot as they band is getting some attention lately. If you love 80s new wave influence, the album is for you.
New entries this week are Sarah Neufeld and Hooded Fang.
Here’s the top 10 for this week;
1. Time To Kill – Gold & Youth
2. New Summer – Young Galaxy
3. Golden Promises – Born Ruffians
4. I Love You – Said The Whale
5. Emeralds Shatter – Louise Burns
6. Wait Up For You – The Belle Game
7. I Can’t Stand It – Maylee Todd
8. Flowers In The City – Michael Feuerstack
9. Graves – Hooded Fang
10. Hero Brother – Sarah Neufeld
A very short summary for the entry this week.
Young Galaxy returns to the top spot because it’s fitting that Ottawa was having Summer like temperatures for the past week.
The only new entry on the Wild 10 Countdown this week is Michael Feuerstack as he’s no longer going by the snailhouse name. He released the new album, Tambourine Death Bed.
Here’s the top 10 for the May 8th edition;
1. New Summer – Young Galaxy
2. Wait Up For You – The Belle Game
3. Baby’s Got It – Maylee Todd
4. Needle – Born Ruffians
5. I Love You – Said The Whale
6. Emeralds Shatter – Louise Burns
7. City of Quartz – Gold & Youth
8. Destroy – In-Flight Safety
9. Story of the Flood – Chris Ho
10. Bones In The River – Michael Feuerstack
Photo by Lisa Wu
Chris Ho takes the number one spot on the Wild 10 Countdown for this week. The reason for it has been that a particular radio show has been playing his song, Story of the Flood. Myself and co-host, Candice has been hooked on his music. City of Dust was released in January and some of his songs have been getting plays.
The new entries for this week’s countdown are Grounders and The Belle Game. Ritual Tradition Habit by The Belle Game is now released and the band got featured on Rolling Stone. Good on the band in getting some exposure.
Young Galaxy was number one last week on the countdown as their new album, Ultramarine just got released this week.
Here’s the top 10 and other songs played on the podcast;
1. Story of the Flood – Chris Ho
2. Home – Austra
3. Destroy – In-Flight Safety
4. New Summer – Young Galaxy
5. River – The Belle Game (New entry)
6. Baby’s Got It – Maylee Todd
7. Jewel – Gold and Youth
8. Baptism – We Are The City
9. Love Your Money – The Kostanzas
10. Speedboats (David Newfeld Version) – Grounders
(Credit: Michelle Ford)
The end of March edition of the Wild 10 Countdown has Gold & Youth on the top spot. As mentioned on the audio that it’s been on the current listening rotation. It’s still an addicting track full of 80s new wave and electronica being blended.
The new entries for this week are Gianna Lauren and Maestro Fresh Wes. Lauren is releasing her new EP, On Personhood on April 2nd and the new track by Maestro Fresh Wes was released several weeks ago and will be on his upcoming album, Orchestrated Noise. Plus, there hasn’t been any new Hip-Hop tracks on the countdown recently.
Suuns returns to the Wild 10 as they created some buzz from Canadian Music Week.
Here’s the top 10 list;
1. Jewel – Gold & Youth
2. Headphones – Mounties
3. Home – Austra
4. The Sinking of the Greenhill Park – The Matinee
5. Chasing The Sunlight – Imaginary Cities
6. Wonderkind – Language Arts
7. In Two/In Two II – Blue Hawaii
8. 2020 – Suuns
9. Stranger – Maestro Fresh Wes featuring Saukrates
10. Anchor Down – Gianna Lauren
This week’s countdown has a couple of new tracks for 2013. New entries from the likes of Hayden, The Belle Game, We Were Lovers, Born Ruffians, and Woodpigeon.
In other news, Aidan Knight has announced his Ontario tour for February.
For the second week on the top spot, it’s still Hollerado.
Here’s the top 10 list for January 16th.
1. Pick Me Up – Hollerado (Second week at #1)
2. Edie’s Dream – Suuns
3. Venus At Your Back Door – Hilotrons
4. With Her Shadow – Born Ruffians
5. A Mirror – Aidan Knight
6. Old Dreams – Hayden
7. Telepath – Crystal Castles
8. Wait Up For You – The Belle Game
9. Red Rover, Red Rover – Woodpigeon
10. Islands – We Were Lovers