New month and no new entries on The Wild 10 Countdown but there’s a new number one song to kick off March as you see from the photo on top. That’s right! It’s The Rural Alberta Advantage as their second studio album is officially released. Also happening in March is the X3 Artist of the Month and it’s Newfoundland & Labrador’s Hey Rosetta! Welcome drops down to #2 and could stay strong within the top 5 as it gets a good boost for March. Also trailing to the top spot is Memphis as their album, Here Comes A City arrives next week.
Without further ado, here’s the top 10.
1. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Taking the top spot)
2. Welcome – Hey Rosetta! (Last week at #1)
3. I Am The Photographer – Memphis (Temporarily replacing I Want The Lights On After Dark)
4. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (Last week at #2)
Sorry for the delay as I have been under the weather. To keep it short and simple, a new number one song, a few new entries and due to reading week, the top 10 was aired on the radio. Here’s the top 10 list;
1. Welcome – Hey Rosetta! (1st week at Number one)
2. North Star – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Inching closer to #1)
3. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (Falling down from the top spot.
4. I Want The Lights On After Dark – Memphis (Jumping a spot)
5. Plath Heart – Braids (Going down a spot)
6. Who By Fire (featuring Jenn Grant) – Buck 65 (Going up)
7. Hummingbird – Imaginary Cities (New entry)
8. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo (steady)
9. Getcha Good – Jenn Grant (Going down)
10.Leftovers – PS I Love You & Diamond Rings (New entry)
It’s a new chapter for the countdown as it will be shifted to the blog as a podcast. The good thing is that it will be continuing on but no longer being on the airwaves for the time being. This week’s countdown, there’s no new entries but the top three songs are somewhat in a competitive beat as they are getting popular through airplay and digital release. Without ado, here’s the top 10.
I decided to include the radio show as it could be easier to listen if you do not prefer to listen from the main blog.
1. We Have Everything – Young Galaxy (2nd week as this song is currently out as a music video)
2. Welcome – Hey Rosetta! (Their new album, Seeds, comes out on February 15)
3. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Going back up and two of the members appeared on MuchMusic’s The Wedge)
4. Plath Heart – Braids (Steady as they’re still getting airplay)
5. Getcha Good – Jenn Grant (Falling down from #2 last week)
6. I Want The Lights On After Dark – Memphis (Going up a spot)
7. Chinatown – Destroyer (Going up a spot)
8. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo (Going back up)
9. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs (Falling down from #6 last week)
10. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Steady again at #10 as he will be back in Ottawa for Friday night)
Audio – The Radio Show for February 9, 2011
You can listen to the entire radio show by pressing play. The concise playlist is at this link.
It’s a new month a new number one to kick off February. That’s right, it’s Montreal’s Young Galaxy taking the top spot as their new album, Shapeshifting is partially out (currently out on iTunes). They are also the X3 Artist of the Month. The only new debut on the countdown is Hey Rosetta! They have a new album coming out this month as well. Overall, there’s not a lot of movement on the countdown and it’s also the final live broadcast as it will be moved to the blog as a podcast. The Wild 10 Countdown will still continue, just not on live terrestrial radio.
Here’s the list.
1. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (1st week at #1)
2. Paradise Mountain – Jenn Grant (Down a spot. Temporary replacing Getcha Good on the final live broadcast)
Not much happening on the countdown in terms of debuts. A few songs went up and down. It’s also the final time that Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by Arcade Fire will be on the countdown. I have broken promises that it would be off but due to a few radio shows that I listen to, it would stay on for another week. Another reason was the guest on my radio show as she really loves the song.
Jenn Grant stays on top for another week as January ends her time as the X3 Artist of the Month. Who will be #1 for the first week of February?
Without further ado, here’s the list.
1. Getcha Good – Jenn Grant (2nd week at #1)
2. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs (Steady as she was #1 on CBC Radio 3’s R3-30)
3. Peripheral Visionaries – Young Galaxy (Steady. I still avoid saying the song name)
4. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (Steady. The music video was released.)
5. Plath Heart – Braids (Going up. This band is getting a lot of attention due to album release, the show last Friday and a free song on iTunes Store this week)
6. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson) – Chromeo (Going down a spot)
7. I Want The Lights On After Dark – Memphis (Going up)
8. Chinatown – Destroyer (Going up)
9. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Going down)
10. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (It should be the final time that it’s on the countdown.
No regular entry from my main blog for the time being. It’s the 2nd week of 2011 and so far, there were a lot of 2011 songs on the Wild 10 Countdown. This week’s countdown seemed to have a lot of bands from or now residing in Montreal. Of the bands from Montreals, they are The Luyas, Braids, Arcade Fire, Chromeo and Young Galaxy.
The remaining 2010 songs still on the countdown were Arcade Fire, Rebekah Higgs, and Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans.
For the time being, I am not going to list the top 10 as it’s already posted on the CKCU-FM playlist from the website. To check the playlist, the link is here.
Aside from the new number one for the January 12th edition, the interview with Rebekah Higgs was also aired on the radio show. It’s basically the “first” interview segment for 2011. She’s been getting some buzz on the music website as one of the songs from her Little Voice EP is available as free download. If you like her music, check her Bandcamp site at http://rebekahhiggs.bandcamp.com/.
As usual, I was joined by new co-host, Lauren. She’s still making a great effort at enjoying the new Canadian songs on the countdown and throughout the show.
Audio – Radio Show & Interview
The radio show – press play to listen.
The Rebekah Higgs interview – press play to listen or download it.
The return of the Wild 10 Countdown to kick off 2011. After a 2 week hiatus from Christmas, the countdown resumes as there were a few new track as bands and musicians gear up for their 2011 releases. That’s right, Young Galaxy, Jenn Grant and The Rural Alberta Advantage are coming out with their albums for 2011. The only surprise for the return of the countdown happens to be a returning #1 song. That’s right, Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by Arcade Fire rebound back to the #1 spot due to the fact that the song was played on various radio shows as it was considered the best song from the 3rd studio album, The Suburbs. Without further ado, here’s the top 10 list for the first week of 2011.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (6 weeks at #1)
2. Stamp – The Rural Alberta Advantage (New entry as their upcoming album, Departing comes out on March 1st)
3. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Fallen down from the #1 spot. The countdown was on a two week break)
4. Little Voice – Rebekah Higgs
5. Peripheral Visionaires – Young Galaxy (New entry as their upcoming album, Shapeshifting comes out in February)
6. Minimum Wage Lovers – The Mountains & The Trees (From the 2010 leftovers. His Ottawa got rescheduled)
7. Not In Love (featuring Robert Smith) – Crystal Castles (From the 2010 leftovers. It’s getting plays from elsewhere.)
8. Something Else – Diamond Rings (From the 2010 leftovers)
9. Hot Mess (featuring Elly Jackson of La Roux) – Chromeo (New entry as this version is coming out as a single. The music video minus Elly Jackson’s vocal is getting some rotation.)
10. How I Met You – Jenn Grant (New entry to start off the countdown for 2011. Honeymoon Punch comes out next week and she’s the X3 Artist of the Month for January)