There were a couple of new entries joining the countdown. The Hair Song by Black Mountain is getting popular ever since Wilderness Heart was released. The Suburbs (song) is off the countdown but replaced with another Arcade Fire song. Land of Talk is still going strong as Quarry Hymns is the free single of the week on iTunes Store.
As the main blog is back up for a new season, there will be times where the entries won’t be long here.
1. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (3rd week at #1)
2. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Going up a couple of spots as it is getting plays)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Down a spot. They will be back in Ottawa again)
4. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Down a spot and is currently on a European tour)
5. Be A Path – The Love Machine (Up a spot)
6. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Up a couple spots as they will be in Ottawa for Thursday night at Mavericks)
7. We, Myself, And I – Shad (New entry as the music video has released)
8. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (New entry and replacing The Suburbs)
9. Up In The Belfry – Winchester Warm (New entry and they’ve been performing lately)
10. This City – hotshotcasino (Down several spots to #10)
In case you want to listen to the entire show on this entry, just play to play to listen.
As an extra bonus, here’s the video where I shot Winchester Warm at CKCU-FM last Wednesday.
I am still unable to write a good entry on my main blog. The radio show was jam packed as I aired two audio interviews. They were The Mountains & The Trees and Allie Hughes. My interview with Hughes is new for the second season of the show and hope you will like the interview as she is gaining some buzz and interest in Canadian music. Also on the radio show were some of the Polaris Music Prize Short List nominees being played. I apologize for skipping Karkwa as I did not have time on the show.
As for the countdown, there wasn’t any new debuts but there were several movers and shakers. Here’s the top 10;
1. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (2nd week at #1)
2. White Wolves – Bravestation (Going back up a spot as I got to see them on Friday night and they liked the interview)
3. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Down a spot and don’t forget to listen to the interview)
4. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Jumping from #7 last week and Wilderness Heart is now released)
5. A Good Name – Shad (He’s on the Polaris Music Prize Short List as the Gala is drawing closer)
6. Be A Path – The Love Machine (They performed at Glebe’s Got Flavour last weekend)
7. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Falling down from #4)
8. This City – hotshotcasino (Falling from #5.)
9. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (They will be in Ottawa next week for a show at Mavericks)
10. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Was supposed to be gone last week. I thought the guest would come in)
Don’t forget to check the playlist by clicking here.
You can listen to the radio show by pressing play.
Audio Interviews – Allie Hughes and The Mountain & The Trees
Even though I haven’t started my regular blog yet, this week’s audio interviews will be placed here. In case you want to skip the radio show and listen to the interviews. That’s the photo of Allie Hughes. Allie Hughes – Press play to listen or download it.
The Mountain & The Trees – Press play to listen or download it.
Supposedly, I haven’t got to write a new entry to start the sixth season on my main blog, but it will be slightly delayed. This sub-blog will do for now.
I started off the second season of the radio show and the top 10 countdown is now permanent. We got a new number song to start off the second season.
In the final half-hour of the show, I played some Cantopop tunes and then some Leslie Cheung songs as his birthday would be on September 12th, if he was still around.
Here’s the top 10 countdown;
1. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (New at #1, jumped from #4 last week)
2. More & More & More – The Mountain & The Trees (fallen from the #1 spot)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Steady and don’t forget to listen to the interview)
4. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Falling down from #2)
5. This City – hotshotcasino (Steady from last week)
New month and it’s still scorching hot outside. It’s now permanent that the countdown is expanded to top 10. It was previously mentioned that the top 5 is too small to cover the popular tracks. Also on the show was Summer music wrap as I played the artists and bands that I got see live and interview at festivals and shows. Without further ado, here’s the top 10 list for September 1st. A new number song to start off the new month.
1. More & More & More – The Mountain & The Trees. (1st week. Let’s just say that the song was played on Degrassi)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Falling down from the number one spot.)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Steady but they’re getting lot of reviews from their 2010 EP)
4. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (They are September’s X3 Artist of the Month and the music video just release.)
5. This City – hotshotcasino (Making the top 5 spot.)
6. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Album just released on iTunes and various music stores.)
7. A Good Name – Shad (Going up two spots from #9.)
8. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Falling down from #5. It’s considered my Summer song of 2010.)
9. Winchester Warm – Winchester Warm (Going up a spot from #10.)
10. Be A Path – The Love Machine (New entry as they recently did a CD release show on Saturday night.)
Don’t forget to check the playlist by going to this link for all your Summer wrap up needs.
You can listen to the show by pressing play (below).
Apparently, this week’s edition of the show was a bit off because the clock at the station was a minute behind and I was having a fever. There’s a new number one song as Arcade Fire’s reign on top came to an end. The image on top is the new number song on the Wild 5 for August 25th. That’s right, it’s adaline and the song was stalled at number two for three weeks. Also on the show, an Adam Saikaley song was played, which won the first Ottawa International Film Festival’s Music Video Challenge. The music video, Bike is up on YouTube, click here to watch it. More Arcade Fire songs were played and Sprawl II remix continues to be a favorite from the band. The second hour was going back in time to play Japanese and Chinese songs from the year 2000.
The playlist from the CKCU-FM COD will have the explanation on the top 10 songs. Here’s the top 10 list.
1. Hand To Hold – adaline (1st week at #1. Description is on the CKCU playlist)
2. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Going up a spot.)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Going up two spots. It was played several times last Wednesday. More reviews from their 2010 EP has been published)
4. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Going up two spots as the album, Cloak and Cipher is finally released.)
5. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Falling down from the #1 spot.)
6. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (Falling down two spots.)
7. This City – hotshotcasino (Going up two spots. Apparently, I missed them on Friday night.)
I should call this the Ottawa Folk Festival edition as the majority of the radio show was pre-taped. The first time my show was barely live until after the number two song was played.
On the show, there were several interviews from Ottawa Folk Festival consisting of Rolf Klausener of The Acorn, Aidan Knight, Jill Zmud, & Jim Bryson. All four interviews were great and light-hearted, hope you will enjoy it. The funny part with the Aidan Knight interview was Rolf joining a bit of the conversation.
As for the countdown, one of the new song entry, it is getting some buzz due to releasing a song via Twitter. Plus, there’s still more Arcade Fire songs that I played.
There’s one segment that’s podcasted but the sound quality is not great. I played some J-POP songs from the year 2000 as way of feeling nostalgic.
Here’s the countdown for August 18th;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (12 weeks! Most likely the final time it’s at #1)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Steady for 3 weeks so far. I read something about an announcement. Must be some hype)
4. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (Up a spot. If you listened, I quietly unveiled a new countdown jingle)
5. White Wolves – Bravestation (Down a spot but still on the important top 5 countdown)
6. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Steady for the 2nd week. Cloak and Cipher will be released soon)
7. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Climbing up 2 spots. Somehow, the new album is available at CKCU-FM)
8. Rose Garden – Shad (Climbing up 2 spots as it seems like the song is getting some resurgence elsewhere)
9. This City – hotshotcasino (New entry. It’s creating some headlines as these four uOttawa alums are using Twitter to promote their music.)
10. Old Fangs – Black Mountain (Down two spots.)
You can listen to the show by pressing play and don’t forget to check the playlist at this link. I didn’t explain on-air why the songs are at that number.
WildWorks Extra for August 18: Press play to listen.