There were a couple of new entries joining the countdown. The Hair Song by Black Mountain is getting popular ever since Wilderness Heart was released. The Suburbs (song) is off the countdown but replaced with another Arcade Fire song. Land of Talk is still going strong as Quarry Hymns is the free single of the week on iTunes Store.
As the main blog is back up for a new season, there will be times where the entries won’t be long here.
1. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (3rd week at #1)
2. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Going up a couple of spots as it is getting plays)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Down a spot. They will be back in Ottawa again)
4. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Down a spot and is currently on a European tour)
5. Be A Path – The Love Machine (Up a spot)
6. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Up a couple spots as they will be in Ottawa for Thursday night at Mavericks)
7. We, Myself, And I – Shad (New entry as the music video has released)
8. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (New entry and replacing The Suburbs)
9. Up In The Belfry – Winchester Warm (New entry and they’ve been performing lately)
10. This City – hotshotcasino (Down several spots to #10)
In case you want to listen to the entire show on this entry, just play to play to listen.
As an extra bonus, here’s the video where I shot Winchester Warm at CKCU-FM last Wednesday.
Apparently, this week’s edition of the show was a bit off because the clock at the station was a minute behind and I was having a fever. There’s a new number one song as Arcade Fire’s reign on top came to an end. The image on top is the new number song on the Wild 5 for August 25th. That’s right, it’s adaline and the song was stalled at number two for three weeks. Also on the show, an Adam Saikaley song was played, which won the first Ottawa International Film Festival’s Music Video Challenge. The music video, Bike is up on YouTube, click here to watch it. More Arcade Fire songs were played and Sprawl II remix continues to be a favorite from the band. The second hour was going back in time to play Japanese and Chinese songs from the year 2000.
The playlist from the CKCU-FM COD will have the explanation on the top 10 songs. Here’s the top 10 list.
1. Hand To Hold – adaline (1st week at #1. Description is on the CKCU playlist)
2. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Going up a spot.)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Going up two spots. It was played several times last Wednesday. More reviews from their 2010 EP has been published)
4. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Going up two spots as the album, Cloak and Cipher is finally released.)
5. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Falling down from the #1 spot.)
6. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (Falling down two spots.)
7. This City – hotshotcasino (Going up two spots. Apparently, I missed them on Friday night.)
I should call this the Ottawa Folk Festival edition as the majority of the radio show was pre-taped. The first time my show was barely live until after the number two song was played.
On the show, there were several interviews from Ottawa Folk Festival consisting of Rolf Klausener of The Acorn, Aidan Knight, Jill Zmud, & Jim Bryson. All four interviews were great and light-hearted, hope you will enjoy it. The funny part with the Aidan Knight interview was Rolf joining a bit of the conversation.
As for the countdown, one of the new song entry, it is getting some buzz due to releasing a song via Twitter. Plus, there’s still more Arcade Fire songs that I played.
There’s one segment that’s podcasted but the sound quality is not great. I played some J-POP songs from the year 2000 as way of feeling nostalgic.
Here’s the countdown for August 18th;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (12 weeks! Most likely the final time it’s at #1)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Steady for 3 weeks so far. I read something about an announcement. Must be some hype)
4. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (Up a spot. If you listened, I quietly unveiled a new countdown jingle)
5. White Wolves – Bravestation (Down a spot but still on the important top 5 countdown)
6. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Steady for the 2nd week. Cloak and Cipher will be released soon)
7. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Climbing up 2 spots. Somehow, the new album is available at CKCU-FM)
8. Rose Garden – Shad (Climbing up 2 spots as it seems like the song is getting some resurgence elsewhere)
9. This City – hotshotcasino (New entry. It’s creating some headlines as these four uOttawa alums are using Twitter to promote their music.)
10. Old Fangs – Black Mountain (Down two spots.)
You can listen to the show by pressing play and don’t forget to check the playlist at this link. I didn’t explain on-air why the songs are at that number.
WildWorks Extra for August 18: Press play to listen.
I decided to do an extended edition of the countdown as there’s just several new tracks from Canadian indie artists to play and wanted to give some support.
Since my regular blog is still on a Summer break, the radio show is posted here as I didn’t air any interviews, just music for 2 hours. The second hour of the show was a preview for the acts playing at The Ottawa Folk Festival. From my Twitter and email, I got recommended to an up and coming singer as I played a song her. That’s right, it’s Allie Hughes. I mentioned on the show that I was unfortunate to watch this Summer reality show on CBC in 2008.
Not much change for the number one song as it’s still Arcade Fire. They’re doing very well on the UK and the US album charts.
Without further ado, here’s the top 10 from the airing of August 11th;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (11 weeks and the album has done great everywhere and it’s even #1 on CKCU’s Top 20 Albums)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Still steady at #2 and recently announced her full length is in post-production)
3. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (New entry and I had the opportunity to meet him last week at Cube Gallery. Great guy and he channels Dan Mangan in this song)
4. White Wolves – Bravestation (Falling down a spot from #3)
5. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (New entry and I got to see them again on Friday night. Such a long song title)
6. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Replacing Swift Coin as the release of their upcoming album nears)
7. Slip Away – Kathryn Calder (Replacing All It Is and is currently The X3 Artist of the Month for August)
8. Old Fangs – Black Mountain (Finally enters the countdown as their upcoming album is nearing release)
9. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (New entry as this song was released recently. All Red, their second album comes out on Sept. 7)
10. Rose Garden – Shad (Entering the countdown for one last time)
The playlist for the August 11th radio show is at this link.
It’s a new month and the top 5 for this week was somewhat of a lazy one because I am wanting support for the band and singer-songwriter from the listeners whether it’s from social media sites or from the radio elsewhere. Aside that The Suburbs by Arcade Fire is still #1, the album, also called The Suburbs is finally released on digital and physical versions.
Here’s the Wild 5 Countdown for August 4, 2010;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (11 weeks and the highly anticipated album is out now. So far, there’s been good responses on the album)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Up a spot. Please bring support or make request for her)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Up a spot. Same reason from #2)
4. Swift Coin – Land of Talk (Down 2 spots)
5. All It Is – Kathryn Calder (New entry and is August’s X3 Artist of the Month)
Also in this entry is the entire radio and it can be listened in different parts. You can listen to the whole 2 hours, hour 1 or hour 2.
Since it’s still the Summer, the interview that was re-aired was the You Say Party! We Say Die! interview. Reason for re-airing it was that they are back as You Say Party since the passing of their drummer in April. I played a couple of tracks from Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs, one song that I played caught my interest, it’s Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). This song brings an 80s new wave style and it’s different than the usual style of Arcade Fire songs.
The second hour was mainly on Faye Wong as her birthday’s on August 8 and it was fitting to play her greatest hits. It also included playing the love song to Final Fantasy VIII, Eyes On Me.
The playlist for this week’s radio show at this link.
You can listen to the the entire show by pressing play.
Hour 1 : The Wild 5 Countdown, You Say Party Interview and a Few Arcade Fire Tracks
This week’s countdown has two new entries while the top 2 are still steady and one song possibly on its final week on the countdown. Included in the entry is the entire radio show as the main blog is on a Summer break. This blog will be updated weekly as the countdown continues.
Here’s the July 28th edition of the top 5 countdown;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (9 weeks! The Suburbs arrives on August 3. It’s highly anticipated)
2. Swift Coin – Land of Talk (Steady. Cloak and Cipher will be released on August 24th, it will be a long wait)
3. Hand To Hold – Adaline (New entry. It’s because the song got played on Degrassi, season 10, eps 1.)
4. White Wolves – Bravestation (New entry. They were in Ottawa on Friday night for a show at Cafe Dekcuf)
5. Rose Garden – Shad (Down. Most likely the final run on the countdown.)
This week’s radio show had 2 “best of” interviews from The Wooden Sky and The Belle Game, which were aired early this year. There were a few more songs that were played on Degrassi. The playlist is available at this link as I had to enter the songs all over again.
You can listen to the radio show by pressing play. Apologies on the sound quality.
Even though Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest is continuing on, I couldn’t forget the Wild 5 Countdown. Arcade Fire still stays on top as they made an excellent performance at Ottawa Bluesfest. Unfortunately, the number one song was not performed live. One new entry is not a new song but it created some buzz last week due to the Polaris Music Prize.
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (7 Weeks!)
2. Rose Garden – Shad (Gaining up again)
3. Ghost Pressure – Wolf Parade (Gaining up again ever since their re-entry)
4. Constellation – Forest City Lovers (Down 2 spots)
5. Hell – Tegan & Sara (It was due to the response from their Polaris Music Prize Short List entry)
For this entry only, I will be including the audio interviews from Canada Day. All 3 interviews from Canada Day were great. I hope you will enjoy the interviews from Amelia Curran, Shad and Elliott Brood. Since I won’t be able to podcast the entire radio show due to Summer break and there’s Radio Camp happening at CKCU-FM. The playlist for the July 7th radio show is at this link. A reminder again that the main blog is on a Summer break but the countdown blog will continue for the Summer months.
This week’s countdown got a returning song for the second time and not much movement. Here’s the Top 5.
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (6 Weeks at #1)
2. Constellation – Forest City Lovers (New entry)
3. Rose Garden – Shad (Falling down a spot and the audio interview is provided below)
4. Ghost Pressure – Wolf Parade (Re-entry again as they are the X3 Artist of the Month for July)
5. Younger Us – Japandroid (New entry as it’s getting some airplay)