Since the 2010 CKCU-FM Funding Drive is done and over for another year, the countdown still continues on. This week had some new entries and the reason as a few of the songs released their music videos on the Internet. As usual, Arcade Fire is still on top for the Wild 10 Countdown. Here’s the list.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (4th at #1. They will be on SNL for their second appearance. I can’t wait but won’t be able to watch it live as I will be attending CKCU’s 35 Anniversary Party)
2. Constellation – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Song is steady again. Aside from Mr. Bryson sporting a ‘tasche, he’s still getting airplays on various CKCU shows)
3. Something Else – Diamond Rings (Steady. I aired the audio interview for the show and he’s still getting plays as he’s November’s X3 Artist of the Month)
4. Not The Stars – Allie Hughes (Up a spot. She’s still hovering on the countdown and she’s still doing a couple of concerts in the Greater Toronto area)
5. We, Myself, And I – Shad (Going back to the Big 5. He’s got his own coffee but only in the Vancouver area)
6. Red Lights – Holy Fuck (Song is going up. I am still loving the music video)
7. Not In Love (featuring Robert Smith) – Crystal Castles (New entry. A new version of Not In Love with The Cure’s Robert Smith. Coming in December)
8. Lonely’s Lunch – You Say Party (New entry. Not a brand new song but it’s the music video that’s been released on the Internet)
9. Surf’s Up – Winchester Warm (Up a spot. I gotta thank Mr. Pearce for donating to my show and another show for the Funding Drive)
10. Push – Rich Aucoin (New entry. The music video was released recently and it’s unique video because it’s on traditional 3-D. A great way to dance to the song.)
This week’s countdown had no new debuts, there were a few movers and shakers for the Wild 10. This was the second and final Funding Drive Show edition and I had no assistance because of other factors happening. I’m pleased with the donations during the countdown and around the second hour of the show. Without further ado, here’s the top 10.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (3rd week at #1. They will be the musical guest on SNL for November 13th).
2. Constellation – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Steady at #2. He’s still getting airplay on various CKCU shows)
3. Something Else – Diamond Rings (Going up. He’s getting so much buzz because of the release of Special Affections. Expect the interview to be airing next week.)
From October 22 to November 7, CKCU is holding their Funding Drive and we need the listeners to call in to donate to keep shows going on for another year. Also, we need to keep equipment to be updated and all sorts. If you want to support community radio, you should call 613-520-3920 (in the Ottawa area), 1-877-520-3920 (outside of Ottawa) and donate online. The goal for the station is $110,000. This week’s countdown is not on hiatus from the funding drive, it is still going on no matter what. Here’s the top 10.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (2nd week at #1. There’s not much to say that it’s still a great song)
2. Constellation – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (It’s still getting lots of airplays on various CKCU shows)
3. Wait & See – Diamond Rings (Up a spot. Special Affections came out on Monday, instead of Tuesday’s whole slew of music releases. He’s in Ottawa on October 29th at Raw Sugar Cafe)
4. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Down a few spots)
5. We, Myself, And I – Shad (Down a spot. Shad is still going strong with tours in the USA to promote TSOL)
6. Not The Stars – Allie Hughes (Up a spot. She’s continuing some live show in Toronto and parts of Southern/Western Ontario)
7. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Going down slowly. The co-host still likes the band and song)
8. Serious Bedtime – The Balconies (New entry. Not a new song but congratulations to The Balconies for winning again last Friday for the Big Money Shot)
9. Red Lights – Holy Fuck (New entry. Such a cute and funny music with the cats. Plus the car chase between the cat and dog)
10. Up in the Belfry – Winchester Warm (Was supposed to be off the countdown as I decided to bump off Jason Collett instead. It’s staying on the countdown as the singer of the band donated for the show and another CKCU show)
You can listen to show by pressing play.
Oct. 27 show –
This week’s countdown is the week before CKCU’s annual funding driver. It was also the week when I was without a co-host. There was excitement as there’s a new number one song on the countdown. Bumping off The Hair Song by Black Mountain was Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by Arcade Fire.
There was an airplay gainer from Ottawa’s Jim Bryson as he’s joined by The Weakerthans and releasing The Falcon Lake Incident.
As for next week’s plan, the countdown will continue but the songs may be shortened. We’ll see what happens.
Here’s the top 10 list.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (New at #1)
2. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Falling off the number one spot)
3. Metal Girls – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Greatest airplay gainer, jumping 7 spots. Album is now released)
4. We, Myself, And I – Shad (Falling down a spot)
5. Something Else – Diamond Rings (Song is steady but his debut album comes out and he will be in Ottawa as well)
6. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Falling down a spot)
7. Not The Stars – Allie Hughes (Going up a spot and a new #7 countdown jingle as it’s based on Girls on Film by Duran Duran)
8. Tell Me, Cancer – Forest City Lovers (Going down a spot)
9. Up in the Belfry – Winchester Warm (Going down. They had a show last Saturday at Raw Sugar Cafe)
10. Bitter Beauty – Jason Collett (New entry as the album got released last week and was in Ottawa on Sunday for a show)
There were a couple of new entries joining the countdown. The Hair Song by Black Mountain is getting popular ever since Wilderness Heart was released. The Suburbs (song) is off the countdown but replaced with another Arcade Fire song. Land of Talk is still going strong as Quarry Hymns is the free single of the week on iTunes Store.
As the main blog is back up for a new season, there will be times where the entries won’t be long here.
1. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (3rd week at #1)
2. The Hair Song – Black Mountain (Going up a couple of spots as it is getting plays)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Down a spot. They will be back in Ottawa again)
4. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Down a spot and is currently on a European tour)
5. Be A Path – The Love Machine (Up a spot)
6. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Up a couple spots as they will be in Ottawa for Thursday night at Mavericks)
7. We, Myself, And I – Shad (New entry as the music video has released)
8. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (New entry and replacing The Suburbs)
9. Up In The Belfry – Winchester Warm (New entry and they’ve been performing lately)
10. This City – hotshotcasino (Down several spots to #10)
In case you want to listen to the entire show on this entry, just play to play to listen.
As an extra bonus, here’s the video where I shot Winchester Warm at CKCU-FM last Wednesday.
New month and it’s still scorching hot outside. It’s now permanent that the countdown is expanded to top 10. It was previously mentioned that the top 5 is too small to cover the popular tracks. Also on the show was Summer music wrap as I played the artists and bands that I got see live and interview at festivals and shows. Without further ado, here’s the top 10 list for September 1st. A new number song to start off the new month.
1. More & More & More – The Mountain & The Trees. (1st week. Let’s just say that the song was played on Degrassi)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Falling down from the number one spot.)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Steady but they’re getting lot of reviews from their 2010 EP)
4. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (They are September’s X3 Artist of the Month and the music video just release.)
5. This City – hotshotcasino (Making the top 5 spot.)
6. Plastic Slides – Winter Gloves (Album just released on iTunes and various music stores.)
7. A Good Name – Shad (Going up two spots from #9.)
8. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Falling down from #5. It’s considered my Summer song of 2010.)
9. Winchester Warm – Winchester Warm (Going up a spot from #10.)
10. Be A Path – The Love Machine (New entry as they recently did a CD release show on Saturday night.)
Don’t forget to check the playlist by going to this link for all your Summer wrap up needs.
You can listen to the show by pressing play (below).
Apparently, this week’s edition of the show was a bit off because the clock at the station was a minute behind and I was having a fever. There’s a new number one song as Arcade Fire’s reign on top came to an end. The image on top is the new number song on the Wild 5 for August 25th. That’s right, it’s adaline and the song was stalled at number two for three weeks. Also on the show, an Adam Saikaley song was played, which won the first Ottawa International Film Festival’s Music Video Challenge. The music video, Bike is up on YouTube, click here to watch it. More Arcade Fire songs were played and Sprawl II remix continues to be a favorite from the band. The second hour was going back in time to play Japanese and Chinese songs from the year 2000.
The playlist from the CKCU-FM COD will have the explanation on the top 10 songs. Here’s the top 10 list.
1. Hand To Hold – adaline (1st week at #1. Description is on the CKCU playlist)
2. More & More & More – The Mountains & The Trees (Going up a spot.)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Going up two spots. It was played several times last Wednesday. More reviews from their 2010 EP has been published)
4. Quarry Hymns – Land of Talk (Going up two spots as the album, Cloak and Cipher is finally released.)
5. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (Falling down from the #1 spot.)
6. Carve A Path Like A Valley Through The Land – Nightwood (Falling down two spots.)
7. This City – hotshotcasino (Going up two spots. Apparently, I missed them on Friday night.)