It’s a brand new month. For this week’s countdown, Tegan and Sara stays on top for the second week. New entries for this week are The Weather Station, Daniel Romano and The Besnard Lakes. Hayden makes it to the top 5 as Us Alone got released this week.
Here’s the top 10 for this week.
As January comes to an end, this week’s number one is pretty much expected as Tegan and Sara’s Heartthrob got released. There’s been a lot of airplays and buzz over their seventh studio album. The songs are more pop & top 40 based with a touch of heart break. So far, the songs are catchy and make you listen on repeat. Reviews for the album have been positive. An example of one can be read at this link.
Other new entries for this week are Young Galaxy, You Say Party and Blue Hawaii.
Here’s the top 10 list for the week of January 30th;
1. Now I’m All Messed Up – Tegan and Sara
2. With Her Shadow – Born Ruffians
3. Pretty Boy – Young Galaxy
4. Wasted Light – The Belle Game
5. Friend – You Say Party
6. Not There Tonight – Hilotrons
7. Off The Main Drag – Leif Vollebekk
8. Young & Lazy – The Matinee
9. Old Dreams – Hayden
10. Try To Be – Blue Hawaii
Ending off the week of November with glitches and a brand new number one. That’s right, Something Else by Diamond Rings bumped off Arcade Fire, who’s been on top for 5 weeks with Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). It’s fitting that John O of Diamond Rings ends with a November as he’s the X3 Artist of the Month. The countdown itself is still filled some tunes from Electronica musicians. Only one new entry enters the countdown, that’s The Mountains & The Trees as he’s getting plays on various shows on CKCU and CHUO. As December arrives, there’s a chance that next week’s Wild 10 Countdown will be the last of 2010 as I will be playing Christmas tunes and a year end countdown.
Here’s the top 10 for the final week of November.
1. Something Else – Diamond Rings (Bumping off Arcade Fire for the top spot)
2. Not In Love (featuring Robert Smith) – Crystal Castles (Jumping up a couple of spots as the single nears in a few weeks)
3. Not The Stars – Allie Hughes
4. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (Going down from #1 to #4. It’s still a great track from The Suburbs)
5. Wild Folk – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (It’s a replacement to Constellation)
6. Lonely’s Lunch – You Say Party
7. PUSH – Rich Aucoin
8. Minimum Wage Lovers – The Mountains & The Trees (New entry as mentioned above. He will having a concert in the new year)
It was the CKCU 35th Anniversary Party withdrawal and I was supposed to bump Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) off the #1 spot but due to the fact that the song was performed on Saturday Night Live, it gave me a total surprise as I wasn’t expecting the song to be performed. It stays on for a 5th week because of the musical performance. There was only new debut and it’s from Toronto’s Bonjay. The gainers on the countdown were Rich Aucoin, You Say Party & Crystal Castles. Here’s the top 10.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (5th week)
2. Something Else by Diamond Rings (Going up a spot and he’s currently the November X3 Artist of the Month)
3. Constellation by Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Down a spot but still getting plays on various radio shows)
4. Not The Stars by Allie Hughes (Steady)
5. Not In Love (featuring Robert Smith) by Crystal Castles (Going up. Getting plays on various radio shows.)
6. We, Myself, And I by Shad (Down a spot and off the big 5)
7. Lonely’s Lunch by You Say Party (Up 2 spots. The music video is still getting some talk over on social media sites)
8. PUSH by Rich Aucoin (Up 2 spots from last week.)
9. Red Lights by Holy Fuck (Down a few spots.)
10. Stumble by Bonjay (New entry. They were in Ottawa last Friday)
Since the 2010 CKCU-FM Funding Drive is done and over for another year, the countdown still continues on. This week had some new entries and the reason as a few of the songs released their music videos on the Internet. As usual, Arcade Fire is still on top for the Wild 10 Countdown. Here’s the list.
1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) – Arcade Fire (4th at #1. They will be on SNL for their second appearance. I can’t wait but won’t be able to watch it live as I will be attending CKCU’s 35 Anniversary Party)
2. Constellation – Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans (Song is steady again. Aside from Mr. Bryson sporting a ‘tasche, he’s still getting airplays on various CKCU shows)
3. Something Else – Diamond Rings (Steady. I aired the audio interview for the show and he’s still getting plays as he’s November’s X3 Artist of the Month)
4. Not The Stars – Allie Hughes (Up a spot. She’s still hovering on the countdown and she’s still doing a couple of concerts in the Greater Toronto area)
5. We, Myself, And I – Shad (Going back to the Big 5. He’s got his own coffee but only in the Vancouver area)
6. Red Lights – Holy Fuck (Song is going up. I am still loving the music video)
7. Not In Love (featuring Robert Smith) – Crystal Castles (New entry. A new version of Not In Love with The Cure’s Robert Smith. Coming in December)
8. Lonely’s Lunch – You Say Party (New entry. Not a brand new song but it’s the music video that’s been released on the Internet)
9. Surf’s Up – Winchester Warm (Up a spot. I gotta thank Mr. Pearce for donating to my show and another show for the Funding Drive)
10. Push – Rich Aucoin (New entry. The music video was released recently and it’s unique video because it’s on traditional 3-D. A great way to dance to the song.)
It’s a new month and the top 5 for this week was somewhat of a lazy one because I am wanting support for the band and singer-songwriter from the listeners whether it’s from social media sites or from the radio elsewhere. Aside that The Suburbs by Arcade Fire is still #1, the album, also called The Suburbs is finally released on digital and physical versions.
Here’s the Wild 5 Countdown for August 4, 2010;
1. The Suburbs – Arcade Fire (11 weeks and the highly anticipated album is out now. So far, there’s been good responses on the album)
2. Hand To Hold – Adaline (Up a spot. Please bring support or make request for her)
3. White Wolves – Bravestation (Up a spot. Same reason from #2)
4. Swift Coin – Land of Talk (Down 2 spots)
5. All It Is – Kathryn Calder (New entry and is August’s X3 Artist of the Month)
Also in this entry is the entire radio and it can be listened in different parts. You can listen to the whole 2 hours, hour 1 or hour 2.
Since it’s still the Summer, the interview that was re-aired was the You Say Party! We Say Die! interview. Reason for re-airing it was that they are back as You Say Party since the passing of their drummer in April. I played a couple of tracks from Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs, one song that I played caught my interest, it’s Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). This song brings an 80s new wave style and it’s different than the usual style of Arcade Fire songs.
The second hour was mainly on Faye Wong as her birthday’s on August 8 and it was fitting to play her greatest hits. It also included playing the love song to Final Fantasy VIII, Eyes On Me.
The playlist for this week’s radio show at this link.
You can listen to the the entire show by pressing play.
Hour 1 : The Wild 5 Countdown, You Say Party Interview and a Few Arcade Fire Tracks